Sunday, September 4, 2022

August 2022

August was a month of rest.  Some unexpected rest as I had gotten sick and had to cancel helping at other camps/festivals that I was hoping to attend, though the rest was needed after all that went into LetFest in July.  Before summer began, our team of leaders had a meeting with our team mentor about this theme of "Rest," and looking at how important it is for us to be rested to serve others fully. I have been so happy to see how my team and I have taken August to rest in different activities and vacations and knowing we are ready to start the school year with more energy and passion to shower all the youth with our attention.


When I started feeling better again, I couldn't wait to get back on my bike.  I spent three days exploring some new trails and went to visit a friend and her family in a nearby village for a day.  The views from the tops of these rolling hills always make the trip to the top a treat, and I find myself looking forward to the hills and the great views from the top.  The trails through the forests sometimes feel like a scene from Narnia or Lord of the Rings with the sun peaking through the branches.  Finding a place to hook up my hammock is never a problem.  While visiting my friend, she gave me a tour in the village museum.  Her daughter and I put on the matching Czech costumes (called "kroj") and were so happy at how well we matched!

Biking Trails

Park Time

I happily met with other friends (and their children) on different walks and trips to the park.  We felt the slow summer days as we walked the trails, looking for feathers and chestnuts with the kids, or taking turns rocking the baby to sleep.  It was wonderful to be outside in the shade on the hot days or in the cool breeze after a light rain.  I also met with a couple friends to go swimming in a water-filled quarry, and we loved how clear and cool the water was!  These little outings were great after recovering from the illnesses after camp. 

Meeting up with some old friends in Prague!

To top off the summer holiday, there was one last hurrah.  A trip to France with my parents!  We met in Paris and traveled out to Normandy.  Being an "amateur historian," I read five books and watched three documentaries in preparation for the stay on Omaha Beach.  I enjoyed walking barefoot in the sand and listening to the waves.  Of course, there was a lot of history, and the events that happened on this beach were never far from our thoughts. 


The American Cemetery and the Museum in the information center was beyond words. 

In one of the documentaries, a testimony from one soldier said he was a promising baseball player and was drafted for the war.  That's when the idea set in to bring mitts and baseball to play catch on Omaha Beach in honor of those who gave up their dreams for the freedom of others.  Dad and I had a lot of fun on the beach playing volleyball, frisbee, and baseball (baseball always drew in a couple onlookers as it wasn't a typical French beach activity).  I also brought a rose down to the beach one evening and left it at one of the war memorials on the beach with other roses people had placed there. 

Standing where they stood.

One of the mornings in Normandy, Mom and I headed out to Mont Saint Michel.  It was a fairytale experience as we got closer to the island that seemed to rise up from the morning fog in the distance.  We were so happy we had gotten up early and experienced this beautiful site before the tourists crowds came. There was a sense of peace on the island in the quiet hours of the morning. 


The tour of the Abbey on Mont Saint Michel was spectacular.  I especially loved the cloister, which was surprisingly three stories up in the Abbey!  Mom and I both really enjoyed the simplicity and awe of prayer spaces.  There was a clear focus on Christ throughout the Abbey and the spaces made to worship and cause us to think of Him. 

It's safe to say we were all wondering if we could stay in Normandy longer as we had enjoyed the time there so much, but to end our trip in France we spent a couple days in Paris.  We mostly walked around the city and enjoyed the views from our hotel and the streets.  We tried street foods and were not disappointed with the pastries at nearly every corner in Paris.  On one of our outings we were all surprised to find a Chipotle!  It's a tradition that when I come visit stateside, my parents pick me up from the airport and we go straight to Chipotle to get dinner to bring home.  I wasn't expecting it for another few months, and had a very special treat in Paris!  So yes, we tasted the Parisian treats, but also had an "American" treat too.


Of course, the best part of the trip was spending the time with my parents.  While we talk regularly, there is nothing like talking in person, exploring new walks and trails together, playing board games, and just making memories.  Even as we were flying out, we called each other from opposite terminals at the airport, "How is it over in Terminal 2?  Do you have a Starbucks over there too?" ;)  We will definitely treasure the time we had together in France for many years to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment