Friday, December 29, 2023

December 2023


My little cousin who frequents my parents' house when stateside was talking about all the things she likes to do at "Tio and Tia's" while we were swinging.  She asked, "Kendra, what is your favorite part about being here?"
"This."

Family


To say that time moved quickly while I was stateside is an understatement.  It flew.  It had good tail-winds, because I am approaching the end of my home assignment time and though it feels like I just arrived, looking back on the pictures, I am reminded of all I have been able to do and filled with many joyous memories.  This time has truly been a gift from God. 


For one week this December, the house was full as my parents not only hosted me but also my aunt, uncle, and two cousins who were also on a quick home leave from their mission field.  I soaked in this special time with my little cousins finding that one is a fellow reader and another an avid outdoorsy-nature gal like myself.  In my youth, I had combined these hobbies, and you would often find me reading either stretched on the window-seat with the view outside or frequently climbing a tree with a book in hand.  (A couple summers ago, my parents gifted me with a hammock so I could do both - lay down and have the feeling of being in a tree!) 


I have been blessed to be stateside each Christmas while I do ministry in Czech during the year.  I tell people it is because I don't like carp - the traditional Czech Christmas meal - but I think everyone really knows that Christmas away from family just really isn't Christmas.  It is always great to catch up with relatives and to share this special time with my family.  


Youth Group & Bible Studies


Back when I was in the states for six months in 2020, I joined in helping lead a middle-school girl's group at church.  This group, nicknamed the "Sisters Group" as nearly all of them are the only sister in their (sometimes very large) family, have continued to capture my heart.  They are now all young ladies and a couple of them talking about coming to Czech in the summer for our summer camp outreach!  I have been praying for and dreaming of that since I met them as little 7th graders.  My first day at church this time back in the states, two of them saw me coming in from the parking lot and raced out to tackle me in hugs before I even reached the front doors!  I love seeing how God is growing in them more and more each year and their hearts for serving Him.


While being back, I was invited to join a young adult Bible Study.  It has been fun to connect with these young adults - many of them graduated and figuring out what they want to do now.  I have chatted with many of them giving encouragement to seek God in their decisions.  The group has a tight and inviting friendship and it has been fun to jump in on games and conversations.  Besides this Bible Study, I have joined in on the youth group Bible Studies when I can at a couple different house locations and have loved connecting with new students, encouraging them, and getting the extra time with leaders who are still serving God by leading youth as they were doing when I was in the youth group so many years ago!  I've been meeting with many youth leaders as we bounce ideas of discipleship and ministry off each other, and they have all been incredibly enriching conversations.  I have been blessed with such a great support team back in the states to share ministry ideas with! 

One of the youth students is a figure skater at the rink I used to skate at, so I was very excited to watch her performance in the winter exhibition.

Again, when I had been back stateside for six months in 2020, I also volunteered as a leader for a high school youth group as well.  While many of the students I worked with are now graduated, but as they were home from college this Christmas Season, they were given the chance to lead a worship night for the youth and people at church.  I had so much fun watching the students worship God together again and see how much they have grown in their faith in these years.  As a youth leader, that is the best gift this Christmas! 


Besides the youth and young adult Bible Studies, I also jump back in with my Small Group!  I love getting to connect with many of my friends in small group and being able to easily join in again as if I had never left.  The support and prayers they give me year-round are evident and even the new friend who joined after I had already left last winter said, "Well, I feel like I already know you!"  We are starting to add babies to the group now, and one of my friends now doesn't even need say hello, he just passes me the baby and that has become our official new greeting!  I'm really content with this kind of greeting.

Can we appreciate the sweet exchange between dog and baby here?!

"Our American Friends"


For those of you who have been reading along this school year, you know the kids in my two second level English Classes have been working on PenPal letters to an American who was at our summer outreach event, LetFest.  The kids have taken to calling them "Our American Friends."  I have had a wonderful time reconnecting with all of the team who came for LetFest in the summer and sharing the letters from my class with them.  The excitement in which the letters were sent was matched when received.  My suitcase is packed with many letters back, and I am getting good practice at being "postal service!"


The way this team flocks together during church and youth group is notable.  There is a deep connection they made in doing mission work together and the ways they share about their experiences with others in the youth group has created a ripple effect for desire to serve God in many different ways.  I am so proud of them and have enjoyed this short time that I have been able to encourage them as well!


Most years, I travel back for a quick visit to my alma mater as I meet with a former professor who is also connected with Czech missions (she volunteers with a teaching discipleship ministry in Czech) and just spend time with old memories of being at the university.  This year, I grabbed two of the homeschooling students to join me for the day at the university.  We briefly met with my former professor (a huge highlight and encouragement for me), got lost in the Biblical Commentaries in the library, enjoyed community worship in chapel, explored the tunnel system between buildings, were overwhelmed with options for lunch, and soaked in the sunshine on island on an (oddly) warm December day.  It was so fun for me to be able to share all my fond memories of this place with these two students. 


Lots of Smiles!

I have been out most days meeting and catching up with lots of people!  I love reconnecting with friends, making new friends, and getting to share this time with them.

Last year, by coincidence, I met this sweet little ice skater and was thrilled when she invited me to see her skating performance!

A former classmate of my grandfather's grew up speaking Czech.  At church, he said to me in Czech, "You just look prettier each year!"  I replied also in Czech, "It must be the dress I'm wearing."  He and I had a good laugh with our funny little conversation!  It is always so fun to connect with these friends.

Being able to reconnect with friends this time of year is such a blessing - especially since many of my close college and high-school friends have moved out of state!  Getting to see them when they are back from Texas, Missouri, and Rhode Island is always a treasured highlight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment