Tuesday, January 3, 2023

December 2022

I finished up my time stateside with my traditional December activities.  Time back with my family, church, friends, and sharing all about my ministry in the Czech Republic.  I was so happy to be able to connect with all these people again and relish in their encouragement and support.

Meeting with my Bible Study group is always some of my favorite times to laugh, pray, and play games with all these friends!

At the start of December, I was invited to share about my ministry in Czech with a couple youth groups and the Wednesday night children's program.  I had a lot of fun interacting with the kids and sharing about how they are missionaries in their schools, homes, and sports too.  The kids and I played a game that practiced their Czech language, guessed all the different forms of transportation that I take to travel to Czech, and share ideas about how they can share Jesus in their communities.  I asked the classes how they would tell and show someone about Jesus who doesn't know Jesus, and their responses were beautiful.  The older children had wonderful ideas of using technology to share apps and Bible translations.  They talked about being kind and showing Jesus' love through their actions.  To end the evening, one little girl in the youngest class hesitantly raised her hand toward the end of sharing time and said, "I think, if you meet someone who doesn't know Jesus, you just have to tell them everything you know about Him."  With that great response, I was happy to conclude the time with the kids knowing God is definitely at work in their hearts.

Showing how far around the globe Czech is from the states.

Playing a game that practiced listening and Czech language skills. 

While I was back, I had been able to join my former group of girls that I helped lead back in 2020.  We have a Christmas celebration together at youth group and ate lots of popcorn and decorated Christmas cookies.  I had a great time talking with the girls and leaders again and seeing how much they have grown.  I loved seeing how their group has grown and all the ways these young ladies encourage each other.  I am looking forward to hopefully seeing some of them in Czech sometime for short-term missions.  These girls certainly have captured my heart! 


Each year, a church I'm connected with puts on a Children's Christmas Production, and it is one of the highlights of my time stateside!  Hearing the Christmas story from the mouths of children is always so memorable and inspiring.  Last year, I had mentioned to my friend who runs the program that my friend in Czech had led a fun Christmas program years ago that I had recorded and translated in case I would have an opportunity to use it again.  My friend in America agreed to give the program a try, and we enjoyed the simplicity and humor of the skit!  The idea is that all the children are angels at the time God declares He's ready to intervene with the plan of a Savior.  The angels have some ideas - sending an army, a king, lots of presents - but God has other, simpler ideas.  As the angels come to terms with God's plan, they realize the unexpected surprises are exactly where the prophesies directed.


I always like to swing into youth group too, and this year I brought them some Czech wafer cookies to taste!  (To which one of the students said, "Oh! Those are some BIG communion wafers!")  They definitely would have eaten another box of wafers if I had brought it, but then again, maybe high school youth students will eat just about anything.


My mom leads a Bible Study group each week, and I always love swinging in to chat with the ladies.  It's a big group and they have so many wonderful questions!  Their prayers, encouragement, and listening ears are reminders of all the support I have stateside in just a room-full of ladies.  


I had a meeting up at my alma mater and couldn't help myself from getting my classic "study latte" and walking around the campus as all the memories came back (except I had a strange desire to hurry off to class or study...).  It was fun texting all my college friends after that and all reminiscing on our time there. I am so grateful for the education I received and how I still use much of what I learned daily in my teaching and personal life.  I am also so happy for all the friends I have stayed in touch with and the ones I was able to meet when I was back in the states!  (Some who are even a couple hours or more away!)


Christmas is always such a sweet time with my family.  The traditions we have and the ones we are making mean so much to me.  I love being able to experience the frigid cold at least once each year... and knowing I can retreat somewhere a little more mild in the near future.  There is something about just being at my stateside home that cannot be replaced - coffee and talks with Mom, TV series with my brother, games with Dad, days out with my sister - it seems like the mundane, everyday things are the things I look forward to the most.

"Cousins & friends" picture in the cold

It's always bitter-sweet; the constant feeling of saying "goodbye" and the challenges that come with arriving and leaving.  I recently read an article another missionary friend posted that described the difficulties of having "home" in two places.  The article explained that having a home in two places makes the person realize that they never really feel completely at home in either place.  There are sacrifices each direction I go, but knowing I have a home in Jesus wherever I am is the greatest connector of both of these places.  I am grateful for this ministry He has called me to and the chances to be at my stateside home to share all about the ministry with family and friends. 


BONUS: This year, I'm not traveling back to Czech alone!  A friend who was a previous youth student of mine (and even babysat in her earlier years!) is traveling back to Czech with me for her J-Term.  She is excited to learn all about the ministry and see how the talents God has given her will grow during this time.  I am excited for all the help she will bring and the wonderful time to share the joys of my ministry with her.  Her talents with kids and youth are so evident, and I am confident she will do amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment